Friday, April 4, 2008

Sick Kiddo means Quiet House!

This week has been a long boring week!!! I stayed home all Monday and cleaned house, then on Tuesday Tate got sick so we have had a nice long week in the house. Tate started out with a fever, then on Wed he started to lose his voice. After 3 days his fever is finally gone but he can barely talk above a whisper. We have to have our ear right next to him to be able to understand what he is trying to say. So we finally decided to take him to the doctor today since he can't talk, he has now got a cough and he says his throat hurts. The doctor looked him over and says he has laryngitis. Our house has been much quieter and clean this week because of it!!! So having sick kids does sometimes have benefits!

On another note.....we are trying something new with our kids which so far seems to be working great! For every chore they do (which includes homework and for Kylie "no crying before school") they receive a marble to put in their own individual jars. When the jars are full there will be some type of reward. So far they are now doing things without complaining. And I've only had to take one marble away for misbehaving. I've threatened to take some away but as soon as I threaten it they shape up. It is also working for my over active little scout group that I'm over. We have one jar for the group and if they fill it they will get either a pizza party or an ice cream party. And if they have moved on to Bears before they earn it they will be invited to come to the party still. We will see how long this will last for, hopefully a long time.

5 comments:

Ginger said...

Love the marble idea. Please keep me posted on how it works, so I could try using it on my littlest three. (I think Jessica and Stacie might be beyond the marble-in-a-jar reward system.) :) Good luck with the scout thing. I hope you know that there is a special place in heaven for anyone who has served as a scout leader! I don't envy you on that one!

Fonzareli said...

HEY! We do marbles at our house too. I went to the dollar store and got a bunch of little things, bouncy balls, model airplanes, cars, bubbles, etc. We have 2 jars. One labled "Mommy's marbles" and the other labeled "Good boy marbles." Dixon gets a marble for the same type of things, 2 marbles if he does it VERY willingly. He has to earn 25 marbles to earn a reward from the reward bucket. (He has only got to get a reward twice, but we've only had it for about 2 months now.)

The O'Briens said...

We have been using the token system, and for a long time it worked. Currently, we have lapsed with the tokens, this is something I might just try.

Quiet & clean house? That does not happen often for us! Hope Tate feels better.

hollie said...

I'm so sorry that you now have sick kids. Poor little guy! I love the marble idea...it works for us. Let me know if you need anything.

Wendy said...

I hate to admit it but it is kind of nice when the kids get sick, sad- but nice. It is always a dilemma, do I give them the tylenol-just kidding!
The marble idea is great! I don't know if you have peeked into my blog but I posted a picture of Addy's messy room pleading for help on how to get her to clean it. I am going to try that. They do the same thing at school with jellybeans and she loves it-why didn't I think of that?