A few weeks ago I attended a PTA convention and learned some very helpful things (at least for me) and I thought I would share. This post and the next are what I think were beneficial.
10 Ways to Help Your Child Succeed
1 - Talk to your children, give them your undivided attention
*take out of school for lunch *have a no cell phone time in your home effective for everyone
2-Set High Expectations and Standards, we are their leaders let them know that you believe they CAN DO IT.
3-I'm OK, You're OK
*Build their self esteem and confidence
*When your child puts themselves down tell them "NO ONE talks about my kids that way"
*When one kid say negative to another- make them say 5 nice things about that person.
4-Keep your child healthy
5-Support Learning at home
*work with them at home is the most important and affects their test scores more than anything else
6-Communicate with your child's school
*Go to the teacher first with problems or concerns
*Be involved if possible
7-Encourage Exploration
*go on Field Trips with your kids (with the school and with friends during the summer).
8-Circle of Friends
*Help your child develop good relationships and teach them how to be a good friend
9-Keep your child safe
*Provide structure and be consistent
*Help children deal with stress
*Encourage positive activities
*Be Pro-Active
*Let your kids use you as the "Bad Guy" e.i. they are in a situation they don't feel comfortable in, tell them to call you and ask you what time they need to be home, you reply "Actually something just came up and I need you home now" this way their friends won't make them feel uncomfortable for leaving...
*Have a code word for the monthly things, like have them call and say "mom please bring my purple notebook (or whatever you want to come up with). Saves them from some embarrassment.
*If kids get in a bad situation, let them call you, go get them, don't lecture them or yell at them. Praise them for getting out of a situation they knew was bad.
10-Participate in Community Service
*Share your time and talents
*Let kids think of service projects to do
And a side note that I made: Help your kids understand that maybe their teachers have hard things going on in their lives and that maybe why they aren't having the best experience with them at that moment. We all have bad days, weeks, months etc....
Quick Sautéed Sugar Snap Peas Recipe
2 days ago


No comments:
Post a Comment