Thursday, June 12, 2008

And the Mother of the Year Award goes to....


And the Mother of the Year Award goes to....Not me! Yesterday Tate woke up around 3:30 a.m. and was basically up for the rest of the day. He was such a grumpy boy and would tell me to hold him and then in the same sentance yell at me and everyone else around to go away and leave him alone. I don't think I've ever seen him this grumpy and mean. I was figuring it was because he was up so dang early in the morning. But he never got happy and then complained that his ear. So...after lunch I call the doctor and got him in. Between the time I called the doctor and the time I took him his ear started to drain. I was thinking swimmers ear because that is all we have ever had with draining ears. I was wrong (I know big surprise). His ear drum had ruptured. No wonder he was so onry. Moral of the story...if your son wakes you up way, way, way early and is grumpy. Call the doctor first thing and don't wait for hours to find out what has gone wrong, because then you feel awful and like the worst parent in the world.

9 comments:

Ginger said...

Kids are such confusing little beings. You aren't the first, last or only parent to mistake a sick child for one that's just being a grump-bucket. I hope Tate gets feeling better soon!

Christine said...

So sorry! I hope that Tate feels better soon. Don't beat yourself up! Remember..these little cuties didn't come with a manual or troubleshooting ideas. The best we have is to guess! You're a great mom!!!!!

Fonzareli said...

You are a GREAT mom! My question is, what in the world do the dr's do for a ruptured ear drum. Hope Tate (and Mom) have a better day tomorrow.

4sweetboys1princess said...

Not your fault- don't be so hard on yourself. I LOVE your back to school countdown by the way.

Erin S. said...

That's no fun. Don't be too hard on yourself!

Laura said...

Don't be too hard on yourself. You are great. As much as you would like to think mothers intuition covers everything, you aren't a mind reader.

The O'Briens said...

Don't be hard on yourself, we have all been there. I hope he is feeling better.

Kristi Clinger said...

I'm sorry to hear that. What is the treatment for that?

Wendy said...

I am sure that is not the first time that Tate has been grumpy, how were you supposed to know it was because he had an infected ear. Don't feel bad, if you ignored the draining ear and didn't take hime to the dr., well then you might be a bad mom but you didn't so you're good!