Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Puerto Rico

Tom had been in Puerto Rico since Saturday April 19th for work. On Thursday the 24th I left at 12:30 a.m. to fly out and meet him there. I got in around 1:30 p.m. there. Luckily Tom and Steve (a guy that was also there with his wife Angie and their 2 kids) were able to get the rest of the day off of work. We decided to go and see the Yunque Rain forest. It was very beautiful and we seen many lizards and heard many frogs that are native to that area.

On Friday while Tom was at work I spent the day at the beach with Angie and her 2 kids. It was a beautiful view. The weather was perfect to sit back and relax (that is until it started to rain). Which I quite enjoyed since with 4 kids at home there isn't much relaxing going on. The traffic there is horrendous and there is no parking hardly anywhere so we walked the 2 blocks to the beach. When we started to clean up it started to rain and it rained for the remainder of the day.


When I got back to the motel I had the opportunity to do Tom's laundry since that must be what I flew 9 hrs to do!!! And here I thought I was on a vacation from that type of stuff!
Tom had to work until 4 on Saturday so Angie and her kids and I drove downtown to Old San Juan. We visited one of the forts there and then walked around downtown and seen all the different shops and restaurants. People there park where ever they want we learned. While walking down the side walk I almost got hit by a car. There were cars every where you turned. Then when we decided to go back to meet Tom and Steve we went to the parking garage where we parked the car and parked in front of us were some other cars. "Great, now how do we get out" we were a little worried about what to do. Tom and I had reservations to go Kayaking that night and I needed to get back. Well, after further inspection the driver of the car left their window open with the keys in the ignition. Apparently, they expect you to move their car and put it in your spot once you have moved. Very trusting people considering were were in a town where there were bars on windows. It then took us over an hour to get back to the hotel when it took us only 15 minutes to get there. The traffic is horrible!
View of the fort from the road. Off to the sides there were tons of people flying there kites. I'm surprised that they didn't all get tangled together.
One of the views from the fort that we toured.

That night we traveled the confusing roads through Fajardo. We finally found where we were suppose to be. We went on a Kayaking tour. On this tour, you go at night and Kayak through a channel into a Bio Luminescent Bay. There when you touch the water it glows (it reminds me of the color of the stars you can put on your ceilings). It was so cool!!!! Go through the channel at first was a little creepy. You are covered by trees all around you and you can see the light of things swimming all around you and see the glow of the fish jumping and swimming. We had the opportunity while we were there to have it rain on us the majority of the time. This made it look like we were Kayaking in space on a blanket of stars. Again so cool. The water was so warm and apparently is that warm all year around. Being completely drenched was well worth it and I would do it again any day!!!

On Sunday we set out early for our Power Catamaran trip. After 45 minutes or so of traveling out in the ocean we stopped to go snorkeling for awhile. Being a first time snorkeler it was hard to not panic that I can't breathe very well. After about 5 to 10 minutes I figured out how to breathe correctly and that I wasn't going to die as long as I didn't see a shark. It was cool seeing a different view of things. If any of our underwater pictures turn out I will post them.This is where we set anchor to snorkel.Then after that we set sail to another Island to relax and play on the beach. We had so much fun being tossed around by the humongous waves. When we got back we had so much sand in out swim suits I'm not sure if I will ever get rid of it all.

We then set back to the shore. It was a wonderful relaxing day and I'm so glad that I got to share the whole day with the Love of my Life!!!

In Puerto Rico life seems so much different that things are here. They have souvenirs all over the place that I would be covering my children's eyes if they were there. On the road people cross where ever and when ever they want they don't seem to care if/or how many cars are coming. I'm worried Tom is going to get pulled over now and get a ticket because he became a Puerto Rican driver on the 9 days he was there.

I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to go and so glad that Tom could get some time off so we could spend time together.

7 comments:

cominupdaisies said...

Looks like you had a great trip! I just have to laugh about the horrible traffic, people parking wherever they want, crossing the street with cars coming, and not getting your food very fast...hmmm, sounds just like Manila!! :o) Makes you glad you live in the States, huh! The glowing water sounds awesome too.

Erin S. said...

Wow, I can't believe that they just leave their car like that...how crazy! I'm glad you had fun though!

The Anderson Clan said...

Only one word for you...JEALOUS! Have you booked your vacation from your vacation?

The O'Briens said...

Sounds like you two had a great time! I am so glad y'all were able to get away. Having kids is great, but even parents need to get away once and awhile!

-Melissa- said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun time! The glowing water would be neat to see.

Jen said...

How Fun! I'm so glad we have blogs so we can stay connected....I know we only live 40 minutes away but life is so crazy. This summer we will have to meet at willow park and play.

Wendy said...

Isn't it great when husband's jobs give us a reason to go somewhere and see new sights. Dave is going to London in June and there is no way I am staying home.
Puerto Rico looks beautiful and the night kayaking sounds like a dream- I would absolutely LOVE that! Too bad you had to do laundrey and deal with traffic, otherwise it might have been perfectly relaxing.